This is probably one of the questions that we get asked the most. The simple answer to this is: Yes! You can buy property in Rwanda even if you don’t have Rwandan citizenship. And, even better, it is actually very simple and fast. Below we describe the process of transferring ownership of a property in Rwanda. It is the same for foreigners as it is for residents or Rwandan citizens.
The five steps of buying a property in Rwanda as a foreigner:
- Firstly, you of course have to find a property that you want to buy. You can browse the available properties for sale in Kigali on our website, an our team will be happy to assist you with any questions you may have
- Then the seller has to present the proof of ownership. At Vibe House, we always check all relevant documents of the seller, so you do not have to worry about it.
- Next, the seller and the buyer an ‘Agreement of Sale’ contract, upon which the buyer expects a small deposit.
- Then both you and seller go to the local administration (“Umurenge”) where you hand in these documents, together with a copy of your passport (you have to present the original passport there, a copy is not sufficient). The sellers will present the same personal identification and, if applicable, company registration papers. This begins the transfer process of the property into your name. The seller will at this point surrender the ownership papers to the land officer. Note that immediately before this is done, the full amount will have to be paid by bank transfer. In case you are buying the property in both your and your spouse’s name, you will need a written, signed and notarized power of attorney from them if they are not present at the office. A copy of their passport should be included with this, and the number noted in the power of attorney.
- The local administration will proof the request and all presented documents to then begin the process of transfer of property over to you. The process of change of ownership as well as getting the paperwork takes about 1-2 weeks. We will follow this up for you.
This is the process of buying a property in Rwanda as a foreigner. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to our team on firstname.lastname@example.org or +250 788 999 273. We will be happy to assist you!